Monday, January 21, 2013

Taco Monday!

Last night at 2 in the morning, in my Cookieception stupor, I had a taco epiphany.  In other words, a craving for the delicious and obnoxiously huge taco feast my father and I used to build frequently, back in the day when I was a chubby little child and we actually had time to cook during the week. Although that time is sparse now, I'm on winter break. So after I proceeded to text my dad in the middle of the night from Kajsa's futon, he replied with a glorious "YEEEEESSSS!!!!!!," so nevertheless, IT WAS ON.

With cumin, garlic, paprika, some package of taco seasoning, and whatever is in your cabinet that goes with tacos!
It all began with simmering some ground turkey taco meat on the stove, combined with chiles, tomatoes, and authentic seasonings. This concoction works as the provider of Delicious Taco Scent (DTS), which floats about the house for days. It's one of my family's traditions; at least I think we have those.
There's even a cute little jar of paella spices!
Anyway, this next part is the one food item in our feast I always feel I could rave about forever: the guacamole. Seriously, it's SO good, I can't even begin to describe it other than asking you to picture the BEST guacamole you've EVER had and... yeah it's probably as good as that, or a little better. The secret is simplicity; all you need are a few avocados, salsa, something creamy, hot sauce, and spices. And the other secret is garlic. Tons of garlic, I've put in like an entire handful, and it's like the birth of god in your mouth. The recipe is flexible and open to improvisation, as I've discovered over years of being out of sour cream and having plenty of yogurt and ranch dressing on hand. No matter what I use, it always tastes the same! As long as you use common sense though, I mean come on, just don't be weird.

BEAUTIFUL!
As typical, we ended up with enough White people Mexican food to feed Tanzania. Equipped with soft tortillas, ridiculously wide hard taco shells, and lettuce for taco salads, the possibilities were endless! I'm so making a quesadilla tomorrow with leftover garlic & butter shrimp. Don't worry, most of that in the pan is actually water, we don't live with Paula Deen.

We ate like kings! WE ARE KINGS

There wasn't enough food, so we just made an entire other pot of chicken, using the same spices and flavorings as the ground turkey, which was twice as delicious. Just a little package of chicken from Safeway, but I was IMPRESSED. Safeway has some talented chicken makers or something, it was GOOD. Maybe I'll eat that in my quesadilla instead? Nope. Both. And saffron rice. We needed saffron rice. Because who doesn't?

#SaffronRice
I never got pictures of the tacos on the table themselves because I was busy eating and eating. I first devoured a mini turkey burrito with a little shrimp and plenty of guacamole, because that stuff is amazing, then almost got through a chicken taco but it fell everywhere. How people properly consume crispy tacos is beyond me. My brother made a bean burrito, my mother made a dainty salad, and my father built Taco Mountain.

The feast was a success, and now I'm going to eat tacos until I go back to school next week. Until next baking time!

No comments:

Post a Comment